Rutgers Against Hunger's 2012 Adopt-A-Family Campaign
Members of the Rutgers Community:
I am pleased to announce the official start of the fourth annual Adopt-A-Family campaign sponsored by Rutgers Against Hunger (RAH). Since 2009, your generosity has enabled us to sponsor almost 500 New Jersey families struggling with hunger and poverty, giving them a brighter holiday season. It has been a marvelous response in the Rutgers spirit of service, and I hope our university community will again participate in this worthwhile project.
As we embark on this fourth year of the Adopt-A-Family program, there is a need far greater than in years past. Currently, more than 1 million New Jersey residents, almost 1 in every 5 families, do not always know where their next meal will come from, let alone how they will stay warm through the cold winter months or be able to celebrate this year's holiday season.
Administrative and academic departments are encouraged to participate in this year’s program by adopting a family, or several families, from one of 13 participating social service agencies. Families will be matched with sponsoring departments beginning immediately. Sponsoring departments will receive a family profile form that will help identify the family and their specific needs for this holiday season.
Donations typically include nonperishable foods and other needed items, such as toiletries, baby supplies, and clothing items; however, it is up to you and your group to decide how much of the list you fulfill. Any level of support is greatly appreciated.
Participation is easy:
- If you and/or your department are interested in volunteering for this program, we ask that one person within your department or group of co-workers serve as the representative and coordinate the group’s participation with RAH staff.
- Individual sponsorship opportunities are also available – you are not required to sign up as a department/team.
- If you prefer, you may make a monetary donation directly to the Adopt-A-Family program. We will combine the cash donations we receive to help support one or more of our needy families.
- You or your department representative should contact RAH as soon as possible.
- RAH will then provide your group with information on the family you will support, their food preferences, holiday wish list, and logistics on how to fulfill the program.
- To ensure that we can manage all aspects of this program and deliver the gifts by the deadlines requested by the agencies, we must confirm all volunteer participants by Friday, November 2, 2012.
Hunger and poverty continue to cause great suffering in our state, particularly for families with children and people on fixed incomes. I hope you will consider taking part in the Adopt-A-Family program by providing your service, generosity, and compassion to those in need.
To sponsor a family on the New Brunswick campus, please contact a member of the RAH team today:
RAH Program Coordinator
School of Social Work, Class of 2013
To sponsor a family on the Newark campus, please contact Angela Vena, Assistant Director of Urban Student Leadership and Service Learning, at 973-353-5300.
Thank you for your continued support of Rutgers Against Hunger.
Robert L. Barchi
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey